We currently have the Moderna (first and second dose) and AstraZeneca (second dose only) COVID-19 vaccines available at select locations.
Please note you can only receive your second dose of AstraZeneca if you received your first dose at least 8 weeks ago. Otherwise we will be required to cancel your appointment.
If there are no appointments available, please check back soon. We are adding appointments as we receive shipments of the vaccine. Create your account to receive COVID-19 vaccine availability notifications and/or follow us on Twitter. Note that if you have already created your online DrugSmart account you are currently enrolled in COVID-19 vaccine updates.
This page was last updated on: June 22, 2021
What to expect
Who can schedule a vaccination
We are scheduling vaccine appointments only for people in the eligible groups under Ontario's three-phase vaccination plan. You can book a vaccination appointment for:
- a family member, friend or someone whose medical care and appointments you manage
Getting to your appointment
Vaccine and appointment availability will be regularly updated at the top of this page. Please do not come to the pharmacy for your vaccine unless you have an appointment. The following DrugSmart locations have been selected for the COVID-19 vaccination program:
- KESWICK, ON: DrugSmart Pharmacy #005. 234 Dovedale Drive in Keswick (Georgina). Get directions
- KINGSTON, ON: DrugSmart Pharmacy #101. Queen's Centre (ARC), 284 Earl Street on Queen's University campus in Kingston. Get directions
- SYDENHAM, ON: DrugSmart Pharmacy #001. 4735 Mill Street in Sydenham (South Frontenac). Get directions
- TORONTO, ON: DrugSmart Pharmacy #007. 5 The Market Place in Crescent Town (East York, Toronto). Get directions
- VAUGHAN, ON: DrugSmart Pharmacy #003. 700-200 Windflower Gate in Woodbridge (Vaughan). Get directions
What to bring to your appointment
No matter where you are getting vaccinated, you should bring:
- your Ontario health (OHIP) card if you have one, or other form of identification
- your booking confirmation email
- a face covering or mask (wear one at all times)
- assistive or accessibility devices (if you need them)
- clothing that allows easy access to your upper arm and shoulder area, such as a t-shirt
Bringing people with you
If possible, please limit bringing additional people with you if they do not have an appointment. If you need someone with you, ask the pharmacy ahead of time to confirm if this is possible. They will not be able to get vaccinated unless they have an appointment too.
At your appointment
The pharmacy staff will tell you about the process before the vaccination begins and answer any questions you have. They will also ask you to consent to:
- Getting the vaccine; and
- Collecting your sociodemographic data, such as your race and household size. Providing your sociodemographic data is voluntary. You will be able to get the vaccine whether you provide the information or not.
How long it takes
Getting the shot should only take a few minutes. However, you may have to wait:
- for your turn when you get to the pharmacy
- 15 to 30 minutes after you get vaccinated, to make sure you are feeling well
After you are vaccinated, the staff will give you a paper and electronic receipt (if applicable) to:
- confirm you got the vaccine
- give you instructions for scheduling your second dose (if you have not done so already), depending on which vaccine you get
You must keep the receipt from the first dose and bring it to your second appointment.
Follow public health measures
- Wear a face covering or mask
- Keep at least 2 metres away from people you do not live with
- Wash or sanitize your hands often
- Stay home and reschedule your appointment if you're experiencing any symptoms or have been exposed to the virus
After your vaccination
- Wait for 15 minutes after getting the vaccine to make sure you are feeling well. Do not drive during this time.
- You may be asked to wait at the clinic for up to 30 minutes if there is any concern you might have an allergic reaction.
- Inform the clinic staff if you feel unwell while you are waiting.
Possible side effects
Like any medication, vaccines can cause mild side effects and reactions. These can last a few hours or a couple of days after vaccination. Learn about possible side effects and when to call your doctor.
After you get the vaccine, you should:
- continue wearing a mask, staying at least 2 metres from others and avoiding contact with others outside your household
- wait at least 28 days after you receive the vaccine to get any other vaccines (unless your doctor or health care provider thinks it's necessary to get one sooner)
- speak to your doctor or primary care provider if you are planning to become pregnant
Getting your second dose
To develop an effective infection-fighting response, you need to get two doses of:
You may receive your second dose up to four months after your first one.
Scheduling your second appointment
The pharmacy staff will give you instructions on scheduling your second appointment when you get your first dose.
Changing, cancelling and missed appointments
You can cancel or reschedule your appointment using the link in your confirmation email or by contacting us.
May 11, 2021: AstraZeneca Update
Effective May 11, 2021 Ontario will be pausing the rollout and administration of first doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. This decision was made out of an abundance of caution due to an observed increase in the rare blood clotting condition, known as vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT), linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine. The decision to pause is also based on the increased and reliable supply of the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines and the downward trend in cases.
Based on the much higher risks of COVID-19 infection recently observed in Ontario including hospitalization, serious illness and death, it is maintained that those who received their first dose with the AstraZeneca vaccine did absolutely the right thing to prevent illness, and to protect their families, loved ones and communities.
- What happens if I had an appointment booked to receive my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine? Your first dose appointment will be cancelled. You will receive a cancellation email if you haven't already. We will keep everyone posted on the availability of Pfizer and Moderna at DrugSmart Pharmacy, but you are able to book at some pharmacies in hot spots already. Check here for COVID-19 vaccine availability.
- What happens if I received AstraZeneca for my first dose? Data from the UK points to a much-reduced risk of VITT in second doses of AstraZeneca. We will continue to keep you updated on the recommended course of action for your second dose. There is nothing you need to do right now.
General vaccine information
Materials and resources from the Ministry of Health:
- COVID-19 Vaccine Consent Form
- After Your COVID-19 Vaccine
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information Sheet
- Questions and Answers for Patients: COVID-19 Vaccine Immunization through Ontario Pharmacies
For additional questions and general information about vaccination, you can:
- visit Ontario’s vaccination program webpage
- call the Provincial Vaccine Information Line at 1-888-999-6488 (TTY: 1-866-797-0007)
- information is available in more than 300 languages
- this line is available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week
- you may have to wait for an agent when call volumes are high
- contact your health care provider
- contact your local public health unit
This is a DrugSmart-certified service.
This service and its associated providers meet the standards set out in the DrugSmart Pharmacy Commitment to Care. All decisions and processes are guided by these five core principles:
- Transparent. Be open, be kind, be honest.
- Bright. Be positive, be creative, be innovative.
- Driven. Never be satisfied. Always strive to be better.
- Service above all else. Be a champion for your customers, your patients, and your colleagues.
- Pride. Be proud to #BeDrugSmart.
Should you ever have an experience with a DrugSmart team member or service that doesn't meet the above Commitment to Care standards, please let us know.
Call us toll-free
Send us an email
Chat with us live
Mon. to Fri. 9am to 5pm